Chrysler Repair/'95 Concorde turns over but won't start

My 95 chrysler concorde turns over but wont start. Starter and fuel pump are good. I changed the fuel filter in the last year. It is acting like it wants to start but can't quite get there. Could it be plugs? Or a distributor cap? The only code I get is 55. Whats wrong?

Hi Joseph,
I assume that you are getting spark when you check for that at one of the spark plug caps or that 'it wants to start' indicates there is some sort of ignition is going on which you detect.
If that is the case and you have no relevant codes then I would suggest that you look at the exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve to determine if it might be stuck ajar because the valve stem is gummed up. If you know where the egr is then look between the round vacuum hose operated top piece and the body of the valve proper where you will see a flange that conceals a rod with a circumferential slot (the valve stem) into which you can insert the tip of a secrewdriver and thus move the stem back and forth. An internal spring-action will try to close the valve and that should do so moving it to a full-stop position. If it is sticky in its action then spray sone WD-40 on the valve stem where it enters the valve body and work it some more. Then try to start the engine.
If you don't know where the valve is let me know whether you have the 3.3L or 3.5L engine.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).