Chrysler Repair/'97 Neon: fans come on quickly after start up

Roland i have a problem my neon 1997 is starting after i depress the pedal and idles for 5mins then die. when i restart it just turns but wont start. this is second day after sometime it starts again but dies. i can hear the pump when i turn the key, there are no codes execpt the 12-55 as you have said before refers to battery dicsonnected recently.apart from that 100% no codes

ANSWER: Hi Tony,
With no codes about the only part that causes this sort of an issue is the exhaust gas recirculation valve. The valve connects a small pipe that branches off of the side of the exhaust manifold and runs around the rear of the engine, goes thru the valve, and on to connect to the intake manifold just below the throttle body (again via a small diameter). So find that valve which has a round top with a vacuum hose connected to it, the valve body connected to the metal pipe(s), and a flange in between those two parts. Hidden from view, inside the flange, is a rod which is the valve stem. It has a slot going around the circumeference of the rod into which you can insert the tip of a screwdriver and move the stem back and forth. Probably the valve stem is gummed up and not allowing the valve to close all the way by means of spring action that you will detect as you move it. Take some WD-40 or similar spray solvent and spray the rod where it enters the valve body. Then move the stem back and forth to loosen up the action and note whether the spring then brings the valve stem to a deadstop (the closed position). Then try and start the engine and see if that has solved the problem.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

is it normal for the fans to come on when you start the car and its been parked overnight. lately the fans come on almost 10-15 times at interval of 10-20sec apart for about 15 times when the engine is supposed to have been cold.  after that cycle the fans stop and only come on again , i think when the  engine needs cooling and turn off as the norm. could there be something wrong with the start up

ANSWER: Hi Tony,
That is not normal so try to get a fault code readout. It may be that the coolant temp sensor or its wiring is out of order. Or the fan relay could be sticking shut so try trading that out for an identically numbered relay (one that is not critical to the engine function) to see if that affects this problem.
Thanks for your most recent rating/nomination. You are entitled to do it again for this answer if you would be so kind.

QUESTION: i will re check. i forgot to include that i had also put in a new thermostat. and thats when it started. i had discovered the thermostat  been removed i guess from the previous owner.

Hi Tony,

Did you notice that there is a vent hole in the thermostat's main circular plate (which separates the two sides from one another)? That vent hole should be up (at the 12 o'clock position) when you insert it in the opening. I assume this is the 2.0L SOHC engine.
Are you sure that you put the thermostat in so that the coil side of it is pointing into the engine?  Of course it needs to be the proper thermostat for that specific engine to start with.
The other possibility is that there is air trapped in the thermostat housing or thereabouts which is delaying the circulation of the coolant and that may be due to the hole not being 'up'.
Thanks for rating the answer and giving me a nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).