Chrysler Repair/99 300m: engine dies/abs lights 'on'

Question
Hi, sometime I can start my car and it'll run and shake and the rpm valve would fall under 1 and back up, then fall again until it eventually cut off. There has been times when I have been driving and it'll do that, I'll pull over and wait a while and it'll start up as if nothing ever happend. Now it just won't start. Any suggestions? Also I just had hub assembly done and my ABS and Trap off light is on. What does that me?

Answer
Hi Tamika,
The first thing to do is get a Fault Code Readout of the modules that control the engine and the anti-lock brake systems. You can try one approach that uses the ignition key. Turn it:"on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the mileage window of the speedometer to notice if the miles reading disappears and in its place a 4-digit number preceded by a P appears. Let me know that number(s).
I believe that a code number will tell us exactly why this is happening.
If no change in the mileage reading happens then go to a nationwide autoparts store such as Autozone where they usually will do a free readout using a device they plug in to the socket under the dash next to the steering the column. Of you can get a code readout at an independent shop for about $40.
On the ABS and Trac light, it is possible that when the hub assembly was replaired that the mechanic failed to properly reconnect the plug for the wheel rotation sensor which is associated with that particular wheel. So go back to the shop and tell them of your observation that those lights came 'on' right after they worked on the wheel hub and ask them to verify that the abs sensor and cable on that wheel is connected and routed properly. They should do that for no charge and if found to be damaged then they are to blame for that and should not charge you to repair it. If that doesn't solve the problem with the abs lights remaining 'on', I would suggest that you thent check the fuses that operate that system: In the box in the engine compartment check fuses H and K, and in the fusebox hidden behind the left end cap of the dash check fuses 17 and 20.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).
Thanks,
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston