Chrysler Repair/Sebring 1998: engine shuts off

i have a sebring 1998 2.5 sedan,car runs good but suddenly i shut off ,i tried to started it right away but i didn't start,but i wait for 10 20 30 mins and starts again,and that;s the way that this car keep me,i replace alternator,(was really bad)distributor
o2 sensor ,battery but the problem still,it get shut off driving or parked ,beside that the car runs very good, any help about it, i will apreciate,thanks

Hi Victor,
By 'sedan' I assume that you are describing the 2-door coupe sedan, is that correct?
I suggest that you go to a nationwide autoparts store, such as Autozone, where they usually will do a fault code readout for free using a plug-in code reader. If you can't get that for free, an independent shop (not a dealer) will typically charge $40 for the readout. Ask them for any 4-digit code numbers that they find and what they mean. Then let me know the numbers and we'll go from there.
I will guess that the problem is a worn out crankshaft rotational position sensor. That often fails in this manner: you drive it for a while and then it dies and won't start. If you wait for 10-30 minutes it then will start again. What is happening is when it gets warm if fails, and then when it cools it starts to work again. There is another similar sensor in the distributor that can also fail in that manner, but you said you replaced the distributor.
The crank sensor is only around $40 for the part and is fairly easy to replace it yourself. But I would only buy that part if you do get the fault code P0320. Any other number would tell us that something other than that sensor is going bad.
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).