Chrysler Repair/starting problem: '96 T & C

Hi! About 2 weeks ago my '96 Town & Country started to have a problem starting. I will turn the key and everything would come on, but it will not even attempt to crank. After turning the key 4 or 5 times, it will start normally. If I drive it for awhile and turn it off, after a short while, it will start OK, but if it sits longer than an hour or longer, the same problem happens. Got an idea? Thank you very much.

It could either be the starter motor relay not being actuated or the starter solenoid switch/starter motor/battery is weak. Next time this happens have a helper try the key while you open the power distribution box in the engine compartment to check to listen/touch the starter motor relay to see if it is clicking or not. That relay is the 5th in a row counting from the front of the box. If it is clicking then do you also hear the starter motor click simultaneously?
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).