Chrysler Repair/wipers and steering wheel volume contols: '02 300m

2002 Chrysler 300m the wipers and steering wheel volume control quit working. Is there a fuse that the two are linked with. If not then what should I look at. Thanks for the help.

Hi John,
If those two function only quit working and they did so simultaneously, then the only common item to both of them is the body control module which does many things including these two systems. No common fuse is involved.
Their wires end up at the same plug on the body control module plug #2. If water may have leaked into the cabin at the far left of the dash (dripping down on the plug) through the lower corner of the windshield then that might temporarily cause this until it evaporates.
On the other hand, if these failed independently then the volume control wires go through a coil in the steering column called the 'clockspring' and that specific wire (of several) may have broken assuming that everything else on the steering wheel still works.
On the wipers, those are controlled by the multifunction switch which if the plug for that came loose then everything on that switch would also not function so check that out. The fuse that powers the wipers is #5 in the box behind the left end cap of the dash, so check that out, but if the front washer pump is spraying on the windshield then that fuse is OK. Then the issue would be either the wiper switch or the wiper motor in which case you would have to check the circuit by looking for voltage at the wiper motor when you turn on the switch or check the contacts at the switch itself using a voltmeter or a 12v glow light.
Please 'rate' my answer (see PS below) and consider a "nomination" as well.

Thanks for that report, John. It is interesting to learn that fuse #5 also powers specifically that clockspring communication function in the body computer. I did notice that the wiper fuse also gives some power to the bcm (actually 7 fuses power the bcm!) but it is moot as to that  radio volume control on the clockspring being a specific purpose for that fuse's power input to it. I have noted that in my manual's wiring diagrams.  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).