Chrysler Repair/won't start with 1/4 tank of fuel

Question
Hi .. 1998 sebring convertible jx 2.5 v6, with a 1/4 tank of gas reading on the gauge if the car sits for several hours, it will not start again unless at least a gallon of gas is added. If i have a 1/4 tank or less and stop the car for short times, say like an hour and then start it its fine.  This hasnt always been the case, when i purchased the car new i could drive till the gauge hit the red area with no problems. I have dropped the tank with the car in the "no start" condition and there was plenty of fuel in it.. it was heavy, I have searched and seen a cpl other post like mine but no answers that seem to address the cause... maybe you have something?  Thanks

Answer
Hi Reggie,
I can't remember any similar questions.
Probably the most scientific approach would be to verify first that the fuel pump hums when you turn the key to 'run' (for just about a second), and then measure the fuel line pressure sith a gauge inserted at the test port of the supply line to the injectors to see if it is in the range of 50 psi after an unsuccessful start attempt. I don't see a reason for this to happen that is obvious.
You might try opening the gas cap and the spring-loaded filler 'door' for a moment when this has happened to relieve a possible vacuum inside the tank to see if that would solve it.
If that doesn't work, you may just have to keep the tank above 1/4 point on the gauge.  Please 'rate' my answer (see PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston