Chrysler Repair/'05 Pacifica Alternator Replacement: 3.5L

Hello! My 3.5L 2005 Pacifica alternator is making a racket.  We'll need to replace it.  Is this an easy do it yourself?  Concern is about removing, replacing the tension on the belt.  Is there a special tool?  Could you share the procedure so we can decide if it's something we can do ourselves?  Thanks in advance!

Hi Angela,
The alternator (generator) changeout on the 3.5L does not look too complex. It is more complex ont the 3.8L however.
To get to the belt tension release does require that you jack up the right front wheel so that the splash shield (which is designed to keep rain water from the wheel from splashing up on the belt) be removed, but that is straight forward.
The belt tensioner simply has a spring-loaded tab which is grasped by an open-end wrench and rotated to release the tension.
You do remove the engine 'cover' on the very top of it, but that is not difficult. The alternator has three bolts that secure it: one on the top is attached to a mounting bracket which you also remove along with the bolt, and then there are two lower bolts that look straight forward as shown in the manual. Wire removal is also straight forward and described.
So all in all it looks like an appropriate job for a do-it-yourselfer who has metric wrenches in the 10-17 mm range (as I estimate) and either a good sense of torque tensioning bolts or a torque wrench.
I can copy the pages from the CD manual that I have and attach those to an email which I will send to you directly. Send me a follow-up question telling me that email address as I don't routinely see the address of the questioner, but don't use the @ symbol, instead use 'at', otherwise the address is automatically erased.
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).