Chrysler Repair/'06 Sebring Touring trunk latch/battery drain

Despite all efforts, cannot get trunk to latch, which is also draining the battery faster than a trickle charge, leaving me stranded.  Any suggests concerning the latch, and might it stop the battery drain pulling a fuse on the latch?  If so, what's the number of the fuse?

Hi Fred,
There are two items in the trunk latch system that draw current. The first one is the trunk latch release solenoid which allows you to open the trunk latch from the cabin. I doubt that is the cause of the battery draining but if you would like you can remove the plug from that solenoid/switch in the trunk. It has three wires and is black.
The second item is the trunk light, which if the latch is not secured, will remain 'on' and that will definitely drain your battery. So until you resolve the mechanical latching problem I would remove the trunk lamp bulb. That should end the standing problem.
The fuse for the bulb is #5 but it also powers all the interior light bulbs and the door lock functions and too many other items to list so I would not advise you to remove that fuse. Instead remove the trunk lamp bulb.
Please "rate/nominate" my answer/me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).