Chrysler Repair/1988 LeBaron Convertible (2.2L Turbo) Stalling With "Warm" Engine

Mr. Finston,

Thank you for all you do! I have read several of your responses and appreciate what you do for others!

Vehicle: 1988 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible, 2.2L Turbo (with Air Conditioning-not operational but important to know as timing must be advanced 4 degrees past top dead center (TDC)(please correct me if incorrect)

Codes: 12(less than 50 starts since codes reset) and 55 (end of codes). Code 12 is due to replacement of throttle position sensor (TPS) on Mar 11 (3 days ago) which was causing a code 42.

Problem: Vehicle stalls when (vehicle) temperature is at normal (not cold/hot). This situation started today (Mar 14) on my way to work. Vehicle working properly for about the first 3 miles of trip and then a loss of speed and eventual stall. Vehicle would not restart but electrical system was fully functional (no dimming of lights or other electrical issues). Checked for new codes-none. Ran a test with the vehicle in park and RPM's at 2500. Again, all fine until vehicle temp. came up to normal. Then, loss of power (like it's starving for fuel) and eventually stalling. Attempts to restart (and keep it running) were unsuccessful. Again, checked for codes-no additional to the ones mentioned above. The fuel pump and filter were replaced Nov 18, 2011 (not sure of the make-I let a mechanic do the dirty work on that one). I did a quick inspection under the hood and was unable to find any leaks or electrical points disconnected. The fuel injectors have never been replaced (to the best of my knowledge (was Dad's vehicle before I took it over).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated-thanks!

Hi Mike,
The basic timing for the engine is supposed to be 12 degrees before TDC with the engine warmed up but with the coolant temp sensor disconnected. So try resetting that.
It may be that one of the sensors is inaccurate but not so much as to set a code. If resetting the timing doesn't help you may need to observe some of the sensor readings when the engine is warm and giving you the problem to see if one of the readings is suspicious.
By the way, I think you meant that was a code 24 earlier, rather than a 42 if it was indeed the TPS.
So let me know what happens after the timing is set to spec.
Thanks for your kind remarks about my service.

Thanks so much also for the rating and nomination,

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).