Chrysler Repair/1999 chrysler 300 M: code 1682/no starter action

Question
sometimes my car will crank and sometimes it dont.today was the first time it stalled on me.the battery is new.everything works on the inside when i turn the key.i turned it on and off and the code that showed up is P 1682 what does that mean

Answer
Hi Janice,
The 1682 code says that the alternator (generator) output voltage is too low to keep the battery charged. So if that is indeed the code (I would suggest that you check again just to be sure) then you should have noticed either the red battery warning light was/is glowing when driving or the battery voltage gauge reading itself is below normal (which is around 14.7V). That failure to put out sufficient voltage probably explains why the starter motor won't crank the engine over because that takes a much higher level of charge on the battery than just to light the interior lights or to operate the radio. I suspect that the alternator (generator) on your car is failing or possibly the wire that actuates it to work is 'open'. If you would like to know how to test this yourself with a voltmeter and/or to check the control wire do let me know. Otherswise visit an auto-electric repair shop.
Please "rate" my answer (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston