Chrysler Repair/'10 Chrysler T & C: tailgate/stow seats will not open

QUESTION: After loading the back the van last night,  this morning we tried to open it with the automatic button and it wouldn't work. We also tried to open manually and it also wouldn't work. It is firmly stuck in the closed position, only allowing about 10 degrees of movement when manually attempting to open. It will not open at all with the automatic button.  The night before we had the tailgate open so long that the battery needed a boost to start.  Can you help?

ANSWER: Hi Norvel,
The liftgate is a very complex system with its own electronic module. The manual is many dozens of pages in length. There is no specific listing for both a failure to power open and a refusal to manually open. I infer that there may be an 'inhibit opening' situation ordered by the module. You could try disconnecting the battery (after fully charging it), then touch together the two battery clamps for about a minute to 'clear' the systems, then reconnect the battery and try to open the liftgate by hand, and then by power. Some of the radio presets and clock will need to be reset when you do this.
It may be that if you can get a fault code readout of the memory of the module it will tell us what exactly is the reason for this problem. A nationwide autoparts store, such as Autozone, will often do a readout for free. Try to get the 4-digit fault code number and its prefix letter. If you get such a number, I have an extra copy of the '08-09 manual on a CD which I can lend to you by postal mail if you would like to see that. Let me know your postal mailing address.
Otherwise the only alternative is a dealership :(
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).

QUESTION: Yes, I have double checked the battery and its acceptable. I also tried to activate the Sto and Go Seats and could not get them from the Sto position. I am assuming this is some how related to the tailgate not opening. Let me know what you think.

Hi Norvel,
The common fuse that powers the liftgate AND the stow seats is J3 (40 amp) in the power distribution box in the engine compartment, so take a look at that one which if blown would explain why neither system works. Otherwise I don't see an obvious connection between them. Also look at fuses  J11, M8, M9 and M27 which are also involved but only in one or the other of those functions. It may be that a blown fuse is the cause. Also if the battery voltage is less than 10.6V the seats are disabled.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).