Chrysler Repair/'89 3.0L won't stay running

hello, I have replaced everything possible on my 3.0 1989 Chrysler new yorker from filters to pumps to main brain. and it still will start up and run for a little while and it starts to buck and shut off and on like it is not getting fuel.i ran fuel pressure test at 35 psi . I AM STUMPED. have had to other good mech. check it out and they are to. please help!

Hi William,
The fuel pump pressure is supposed to be 48 psi, so that might explain the situation. It could be the fuel filter is plugged up somewhat or the pressure regulator is off-value. Re-test the pressure at the line between the fuel tank outlet and the filter and if psi 5 higher replace fuel filter. Uf still at 35 then gently squeezed the return fuel hose line and if pressure increase replace the fuel regulator. If no change then it is either the fuel pump or a clogged filter sock at the pump inside the tank.

Did you use the ignition key to get the fault codes? "On-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time? Then watch the check engine light, which remains 'on', to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc.
Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then tell me the numbers in order of appearance.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).