Chrysler Repair/92 LeBaron manual trans slips out of gear

I own a 1992 V6 manual transmission LeBaron coupe with only 87,000 miles. Lately I have been having trouble with my transmission slipping out of gear while driving. So far, it only slips into Neutral or 3rd. The check engine light is not on, fluids are all good, and the sensors and throttle body have even been cleaned off. I was wondering if there are any belts in the transmission that might need to be tightened or replaced. What are your thoughts and do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Hi Megan,
I don't believe that there are any parts/adjustments inside the transmission for this problem. But it may well be that the gear shift cables (between the shifter and the transmission) when adjusted will improve the situation. I can imagine that a cable could be too short or too long and thus encourage a shift lever to move on its own accord when you accelerate/decelerate, for example due to a rocking movement of the engine (caused by worn engine mounts, perhaps). There are 3 pages in the '94 manual which I can photocopy and postal mail to you that shows the adjustment procedure. Just tell me your postal mailing address and I will send those to you.
If that adjustment doesn't solve the problem then there may need to be an internal repair of the transmission but I am not so experienced as to know exactly what it would be, nor does the manual list any specific problem hehavior of the manual transmission and what to do about it.
The other part which might be involved is the clutch which similarly might be partially disengaging because of engine movement.  However again, I am not experienced enough to know if that might be out of adjustment such as to allow the trans to self-shift into neutral. But that would be worth discussing with a transmission shop. Please let me know what you learn and how this is resolved.
Use a follow-up question to tell me your postal mailing address.
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).