Chrysler Repair/92 Lebaron: trans in limp-mode

Question
The car will not shift out of low or maybe limp mode. I have to get the car up to 45 or 50 in the low gear
Then put the car in neutral turn the off on back on then put it in drive. It is then in the right gear and drives fine until I stop again.

Answer
Hi Jim,
You need to get a fault code readout of the transmission controller's memory to find out what two digit number(s) are there for a diagnosis. There is a blue 6-pin socket at the lower edge of the dash on the far left into which an OBD-I fault code reader (such as a Snap-on scanner) with a Chrysler 'data link connector that can be plugged into the socket. This code reader socket for the trans is in the cabin and is NOT the socket for reading the engine controller which is in the engine compartment. Find a shop that has such a reader and get the readout. Ask for the two digit numbers. Let me know them and we'll go from there based upon the '92 trans manual that I have.
You are in limp mode based upon the fact that you can 'trick' the trans into 'drive'. The purpose of limp mode is to avoid prolonged use of the trans in the higher gears once one of many specific fault codes has been logged which if not corrected may cause unnecessary further damage to the transmission. So I would not keep doing that unless it is absolutely necessary.
I assume this is a 2-door LeBaron coupe or convertible, correct?
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston