You are here:

Chrysler Repair/'95 LeBaron water pump pipe


Hello Roland,

I have a '95 Chrysler LeBaron 3.0L 6 cyl, convertible which had/has a major coolant leak.  It would not hold any coolant, it would spill out as fast as I would pour it in.  My mechanic diagnosed it as the water pump.  Yesterday, he replaced the water pump and timing belt.  But it continues to leak bad.  He informed me that a metal pipe that runs from the water pump, under the top of the motor is rusted out and needs replaced ASAP. I do not know the name of this pipe nor a part number.  I have checked Auto Zone, Advanced and 2 other local stores, to no avail.  I found a similiar pipe on, called a water pump inlet tube.  But I am not sure that is correct.  Plus, it says it fits multiple 1995 Chrysler and Dodge vehicles but doesn't mention a LeBaron.

Any advice regarding the name of this pipe, a part number and/or where I can find it would be greatly appreciated.


Hi Monty,
The pipe that connects to the rear of the water pump is indeed the "inlet pipe" and it also has a small diameter side pipe that branches off to the thermostat housing at the very front end of it, as well at a bracket to attach it mechanically to the adjacent cylinder head at the rear. The 3.0L engine was used in many Chrysler cars in the '90's and probably because that was the last year of the Lebaron is the reason it may not show up on the list.
The mechanic should also look at the pipe extending further back as it attaches to an identical diameter pipe called the "extension" pipw and there is an identical o-ring that joins them together as is used at the front of the 'input pipe' where it attaches to the water pump. It may be that the leak is at the o-ring joint, or one or both of those pipes may be corroded and thus the cause of leak.
The parts department at a Chrysler dealer can give you part #'s and tell you what they charge for them. I don't believe you will have a problem getting whatever you need.
It may well be that the waterpump was not leaking at all, so consider asking the mechanic to complete the pipe changeout at no additional labor cost beyond what you already paid. He should have examined this in more detail before starting on the job.
Please 'rate' my answer and consider a 'nomination' of me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roland Finston


Get a Free Fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2012 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.


Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

Awards and Honors
"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]