Chrysler Repair/alternator removal: PT cruiser

I am trying to remove the alt. on my 03'pt crusier touring edition.I have alt.loose,but don't know how to get it out of car.I am working in my driveway.Do not have access to air tools or a lift.Please help me if you can.THANK YOU.

Hi John,

Thanks for the rating. Would you be so kind as to let me know via a follow-up question what is the alternate way that you found to remove the alternator? I am sure that other PT owners would be glad to know it. Also mention your engine (L) as the 2.0/2.4L procedure was still shown in my latest '07 manual to be that horrendous procedure I have described. Thanks so much.

Original answer:
This is unbelievably abstruse! It is a 20+step process and requires removing the lower control arm from the steering knuckle and also the axle half-shaft and dropping the alternator down and out. I don't believe you will need a lift (but you will have to jack up the front right wheel) nor air tools. If you haven't a torque wrench and a fairly complete set of tools this may be more than you want to do yourself
It would really help you if I copy the pages/steps from the '04 manual that I have on a CD and attach those to an email I will send to you directly. Send me a follow-up question and tell me your email address, but don't use the @ symbol, instead us 'at', otherwise the address is erased automatically.
I assume that you have the 2.0/2.4L version of the PT, if not let me know.
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).