Chrysler Repair/Chrysler town and country: speed is limited

Hello Roland I have a 1996 chrysler town and country. I dont know much about mechanics but my question is when i start up my car and take it for a drive i can only accelerate to 40mph. Do you think is the transmission or the solenoid ?i would like to know your respond about my question.

Hi Santiago,
Is the transmission shifting gears as you accelerate and go up to 40? If not, and the rpm is thus quite high at 40(if you have a tachometer that tells you the rpm does it read around 5,000 rpm), then I believe you have a problem with the transmission. On the other hand, if instead the transmission is shifting gears as you accelerate and when it gets to 40 mph the rpm is say around 1500 or so rpm but the engine doesn't have any additional ability to raise the rpm/speed then we have a problem with the engine performance.
Let me know the answer to that question and we can go further to diagnose what is wrong.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).