Chrysler Repair/code 1787

Question

I have a 2000 dodge stratus and I just replace the transmission with a 2000 Chrysler cirrus one. Its shifting gears then it won't shift at all after driving for awhile. Engine light is onand has a code 1787. Can I fix the problem myself, or do I need another tranmission?

Answer
Hi Fran,
The 1787 code is a malfunction of the hydraulic pressure switch for the overdrive clutch when it is self-tested by the trans control module.  There are serveral possible causes:
The circuit that 'senses' the position of the pressure switch might be shorted,
The trans fluid level may be too low or too high (have you checked that?),
It could be a malfunction of the solenoid/pressure switch assembly which is mounted externally on the transmission and can be replaced without removing/replacing the trans,
Or, it could be an internal problem with the OD clutch and that would require removal of the trans/replacement of the trans.
The way to sort it out is to measure the pressure in the OD hydraulic clutch circuit via the test port on the transmission into which a pressure gauge is screwed.
If the pressure is ok then you check the electical connection for a short and if that is ok then you replace the solenoid/pressure switch assembly (did you happen to save the old one?)
If the pressure is not ok then you verify the fluid level and if that is ok then again you replace the solenoid/pressure switch assembly and if that doesn't solve the pressure problem then it is internal to the transmission related to the overdrive clutch which requires repair or trans replacement.
I thimk I can copy the specifics of those tests and attach them to an email, and if not then postal mail them to you.
Let me know if you want me to do that and let me know either your postal address or your email address. If you do the email, don't use the @ symbol, instead use 'at', otherwise the address it automatically erased from the follow-up question.
Please 'rate/nomintate' this answer/me (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston