Chrysler Repair/Plymouth Breeze: won't shift out of 2nd gear

I am considering the purchase of a late 90's Breeze.  It has 170,000 miles and the owner says it doesn't shift from second to third.  Does this sound like a tranny rebuild problem or a sensor problem?  Are the Breeze's known to have tranny issues?

Hi Steve,
Is this an automatic or manual transmission, and if an automatic what are the gear position labels:PRND21 or PRND3L?
The former is a conventional automatic which are quite reliable but the latter is electronic and if it won't shift out of 2nd you would want to get a fault code readout of the transmission controller to see what sort of reason it could have for not shifting. In the electronic there is a default to "limp-in" mode where the trans will only drive in 2nd gear and that is to prevent unnecessary damage until the cause of the problem can be diagnosed and repaired. The code will tell us whether it is a simple fix or a rebuild is required.
So let me know which trans you have and if it is the electronic to an independent shop for a fault codes readout of the trans controller, then ask what the code means, and then let me know the code.
Please 'rate' my answer (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).