Chrysler Repair/Theft alarm system: '90 New Yorker

The driver door key lock won't disable the alarm on my 1990 New Yorker and I would like to disable the alarm under the steering wheel.  However, I cannot undo the driver side dash panel even after taking off the 2 screws holding it in place.  I can't see any other screws and don't want to take too many things apart for fear of breaking something I don't want broken.  I can also see a bundle of wires leading up into the steering column but didn't want to mess with those without proper knowledge for obvious reasons.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi Kevin,
The alarm system is not located under the dash on the driver side.
The vehicle theft security alarm system is centered in a module that is hidden behind/above the glove box, mounted on a structural element. It has a single 21-pin plug that is 'natural' in color. To disable the alarm system you have to remove the glove box, locate the module, and then remove the plug. However it is very important that you have the engine RUNNING when you remove the plug otherwise you will put the system into a 'hard' lock down that only can be corrected with a Chrysler Diagnostic Readout Box at a dealership. If you can't get the engine running I can tell you how to disarm it at the theft module using a jumper. Then you should e able to get it running long enough to disconnect the theft system. Let me know...
To remove the glove box you probably have to remove the entire glove box/ash receiver assembly.
There is a 'cover' on the center support. Then remove the wiring on the ash receiver. Then remove 11 screws that surround the assembly. Then remove the entire assembly. You should then find several module above where the glove box was located.
If you want to troubleshoot the wiring from the front door lock to the theft module let me know. Likely the wire has fatigued at the hinge. The passenger door lock may still be working.
If you want to avoid the issue the only other approach is to never use the door key, power door locks, or key fob to lock up. Only use the mechanical push-buttons so the alarm system is never activated.
Thanks so much for the rating and nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).