Chrysler Repair/1999 chrysler town country BCM

QUESTION: Hello, I have been having some weird issues so It was recommended that I replace the BCM. I bouhgt a part from ebay that is from a junk vehichle. It appears to be good. Is there a problem with just taking one out and putting another in??

ANSWER: Hi Julie,
There may be a problem. Does your vehicle have a vehicle theft security system and did the replacement donor vehicle also have that system? Ideally the two vehicles should be the same as regards the presence or absence of the theft system.
Did you ever determine why the old bcm doesn't work? If not then there are some troubleshooting tests of the new bcm that you should do that are described on about 4 pages of the bcm manual. You may need to repair the system(s) which didn't work before.
And there are a few more steps covered on several other pages. Probably the best approach would be to copy these pages and postal mail them to you. You could send me back three 'forever' stamps to cover my costs after you get them. Tell me you postal address in a follow-up question.
There is also a need, depending upon what the original problem was, to invoke the use of a Chrysler Diagnostic Readout Box or equivalent device.
What were the 'weird issues' that led you to buy the replacement box? Maybe those can be resolved. Did you ever have a diagnosis of the bcm performed and if so what was the result?
Sorry to raise some red flags but better to ask now than later.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below)>

QUESTION: Hello Roland, my address is Julie Stump 213 ne 9th terr Chiefland, Fl 32626

OK, Julie, I'll copy and send the pages. I would believe that you could try the used bcm without a risk of trouble but the theft system may not work, and the odometer reading will be different until it is reprogrammed with a DRB. What were the weird issues and was the person who suggested replacing the bcm knowledgeable?
PS Thanks for the rating and nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).