Chrysler Repair/'98 2.5L V-6 Sebring: engine miss

QUESTION: just replaced engine new timing belt, crank sensor and distributor,car starts but has miss while driving spits and sputters but no engine lights

ANSWER: What is the year/make/model/body style of the vehicle? You should be able to get a fault code using the ignition key, but tell me the specifics of the car.

QUESTION: 1998 sebring convertible 2.5

ANSWER: Hi Robert,
That engine will only give code readouts via a fault code reader plugged into a socket under the dash by the steering column. You can often get a free code readout from a nationwide part store such as Autozone, or an independent shop will do it for $40 or so. Let me know what 4-digit fault code numbers you get and we'll go from there. This is the best way to get a handle on such a problem.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).

QUESTION: scanned with snap on scanner ,no codes

Hi Robert,
That is unusual that a miss like that would not set a fault code. I wonder whether the socket is connected to the pcm properly. There are codes for misses that should have registered. May be try that free readout if you can get one.
Other than the spark plug wires perhaps not being connected in the proper order to the distributor cap, the only other item to check would be the egr valve which may be gummed up and thus not closing tightly when you accelerate.
Please rate my answer.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).