Chrysler Repair/Sebring '06 will not turn over on first attempt

Question
Hello

I have a Chrysler Sebring 2006 that acting weird lately.  After not driving for a few days I went to start it up and got a weird click click click sound and it will not turn over. When I try a second time it starts right up. It has happened twice when usually when the car sits for 8 or more hours but when it it warms up it starts on the first attempt.  I have about 150,000 Miles. Is this my first big issue?

Answer
Hi Eric,
A loud clicking sound is the solenoid switch on the starter motor which should normally not be noticed because the starter should immediately start rotating. If you just have the loud click it can either mean that the battery is not putting out enough current to activate the motor, the solenoid switch itself is flaky as regards its internal contacts, or there is a poor connection of the fat red battery wire at the battery or at the starter motor.
How old is the battery and is that near the end of its warranty? I suspect that the battery
is either weak or that there may be something drawing on the battery while it sits that is draining it down more than it should. Usually that only is likely if you let it sit for more than a couple of weeks, not a few days.
So evaluate the age of the battery and notice whether there is a slight glowing from the battery warning light while you are driving which would indicate that the battery is not getting a good charging while in use. If you have an ammeter you can check the 'draw' on the battery when everything is "off" by inserting it between the - post clamp and the - post proper. It should be less than 25 milliamps under normal conditions as measured after a period of a few minutes from being connected to the battery circuit.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston