Chrysler Repair/T &C, Caravan '04: radiator drain cock

I am flushing the cooling system and I removed the rad bolt cox. It seemed a bit damaged so I purchased a new one from a dealer. My problem is I am having a very difficult time trying to screw in the new bolt cox. What am I not doing correctly? Does it require a lot of pressure or a snap before it will screw in. Very frustrating.
Thank You

Hi Jack,
When removing the drain cock, you turn it fully counterclockwise until it stops, then you turn it clockwise 1/8 turn, and then you pull it straight out. Assuming that nothing was damaged in the removal process, the new cock should be positioned with the finger hold tab in a vertical position, insert the cock all the way in, then turn it clockwise to tighten it. There are a couple of small ridges in the hole for the cock that have to be mated so that is why you push it all the way in and then turn it clockwise. If having the finger tab vertical doesn't let it go all the way in, then try a slightly different alignment of the tab when putting it in. Make sure it goes all the way in to a dead stop, then rotate it clockwase to close it.
Please 'rate' my answer/'nominate' me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).