Chrysler Repair/'97 dodge stratus rough idle

I have a 1997 dodge stratus with a rough idle in park or stopped at a light or anything where it is stopped even after encountering the problem the first time and exchanging the ignition coil, wires, and spark plugs. help

Hi Mehmed,
Try using the ignition key to get a fault code readout: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to assure an accurate flash count. Tell me the counts and we'll go from there. If that doesn't work, then get a fault code readout for free from a nationwide parts store such as Autozone, or for about $40 at an independent shop.
The other part that can cause a rough idle is the exhaust gas recirculation valve, located below the coolant filler pipe. It has a round top with a vacuum hose and the body of the valve is attached to a small exhaust pipe that comes from the front manifold. In between the body of the valve and the top of it is a flange inside of which is a rod which is the valve stem. The valve can get gummed up so take some WD-40 and spray it on the rod where it enters the body of the valve. Then notice a circumferential slot on the valve stem. Insert the tip of a screwdriver in the slot and move the stem back and forth to free up the 'action'. That may correct the problem without having a fault code to also give some direction to solving this situation.
Sorry for the delay as I just found your question in the 'pool' to which it had been referred by Kevin.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).