Chrysler Repair/all gears circled and car wont start in park

"I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica all gears are
circled on the dash and sometimes it doesnt start or it will start
in drive or reverse. Can anyone help? I've replaced the starter,
alternator, spark plugs, battery and battery cables. Still doing the same

Hi Trish,
Two suggestions:
The 'gears all circled' may mean that there is an issue involving the digital communication between the transmission control module and the instrument cluster. To see if that is the case try using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the cluster to see if the mileage reading is replaced by any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. Let me know if so.
The history of it sometimes starting in reverse or drive suggests that the connection between the gear shift lever in the cabin and the vertical rod on the transmission, which is operated by the lever by means of a connecting cable, is loose. Have a helper shift the lever while you watch in the engine compartment to see the vertical rod move back and forth. Examine where the cable that moves the rod attaches to the lever on the rod. You will see a set screw on top of that connection that when loose allows that cable to move freely from its position. Put the shift lever in the cabin in Park. Then with the screw loosened, using your hand rotate the lever arm as far forward as it will go, hold it there, and then tighten down the set screw so the cable is locked in that position.
Then see is the starter will work reliably in only Park or Neutral.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).