Chrysler Repair/P0743 Trouble Code on 2002 Dodge Intrepit

My 2002 Dodge Intrepid with a 2.7 V6 engine is showing TCM code P0743 problem code. I belive this is pointing to the torque converter solenoid.  Where is the solenoid located and how do I change it?

Hi Tony,
The closest manual I have is an '02 minivan and for the O743 the title and description are Torque Converter clutch solenoid/trans relay circuits and "An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter clutch solenoid control circuit. The clutch solenoid is located in the valve body of the transmission which is accessible by dropping the pan, removing the filter, and then removing the valve body/transmission range sensor unit. Unfortunately I don't have the detailed procedure of how to check through this particular code for that transmission. However it does appear that in the similar transmission in the import vehicles the procedure involves first checking out the electrical aspects of the solenoid circuit using a diagnostic readout box and if nothing is wrong with that then to remove the valve body and service the L-R/TCC solenoid itself. I wish I had more to share with you.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).