Chrysler Repair/'01 Sebring Lxi: heat/air conditioner flow jumps all over

Question
I have a 2001 Sebring LXI sedan with 162,000 miles on it. The air direction knob that controls whether air comes out the defrost vents, floor vents or straight out doesn't seem to work as the air flow jumps all over from vent to vent.  It can be blowing straight out into the cabin then suddenly goes to the defrost position. A dealer mechanic said they would have to take the entire dashboard off, would cost close to $1,000 and then proceeded to try to sell me a new car. I will take it to another mechanic if you think the fix might be less expensive than that.  I have control knobs for the fan, temperature control and direction, not buttons.  I don't need detailed advice as I wouldn't try to fix it myself, but just want to be a bit informed as to not be taken advantage of.
Thanks for any advise.

Answer
Hi Susan,
If this is the 4-door sedan model, then it is likely NOT necessary that the dash be taken apart and the HVAC unit removed. Rather, there is an electrical/mechanical 'mode door actuator' located on the underside of the unit which is likely at fault and it can be removed  easily for replacement. The lower panel of the dash on the driver side is removed, then the screws that hold the actuator in place are removed and the actuator drops out for replacement. So I would be inclined to try that replacement of the actuator. Let me know if this is the 2-door coupe model, but definitely for the 4-door sedan you don't have to do what the dealer said was the only solution.
I can copy and attach a couple of pages from the manual that show the actuator and its removal. Tell me you email address via a private follow-up question, but don't use the @ symbol, instead us 'at' or the address is automatically deleted.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below),
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston