Chrysler Repair/2.4L: tensioner pulley

Question
I need to change out a pulley on my 2010 2.4L sebring, but I'm having trouble locating the tension release. I think I know where it is ,but not sure. the bolt seems to tighten counterclock wise I'm afraid that if I put too much pressure I might strip it. can you help me please.this engine has three small pulleys none have a 3/8 hole, all there is is a bolt on the pulley.

Answer
Hi Rudy,
I sent the pages to you from the '06 manual by email yesterday. Did you get them? If not, let me know.
While the belt goes around 3 pulleys (tensioner, gemerator, a/c compressor) the tensioner pulley is mounted on a rotating spring loaded arm that pivots. That spring loaded arm has the 3/8" hole so you can attach the breaker bar to it and rotate the arm clockwise to release the belt tension enough to remove the belt.
About the pulley that is mounted on that tension arm it may well be that the bolt does tighten counter clockwise because the pulley rotates counterclockwise and that would assure that the pulley would not unscrew the bolt of it own accord. So go ahead and turn the bolt clockwise to remove it.
Were you able to get a replacement pulley? It may be that you have to replace the entire tensioner arm/pulley. I assume there is something wrong with the tensioner, correct?
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston