Chrysler Repair/drive belt tensioner release: 2.4L

QUESTION: I need to change out a pulley on my 2010 2.4L sebring, but I'm having trouble locating the tension release. I think I know where it is ,but not sure. the bolt seems to tighten counterclock wise I'm afraid that if I put too much pressure I might strip it. can you help me please.

ANSWER: Hi Rudy,
You remove the right front wheel and splash shield for better access to the front of the engine.  Then insert a 3/8 breaker bar into the square hole in the tensioner pivot bracket.. Avoid excessive force on the belt tensioner. Gently apply pressure to belt tension clockwise until it bottoms out. Then remove belt, and gently release the tensioner. When installing, put the belt around all the pulleys except the air conditioner compressor, then again rotate tensioner and put belt around compressor pulley. This info is from the '06 manual which I believe should apply to your '10.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (See the PS below).

QUESTION: There's no square hole, that's why I don't know whether or not to use the bolt and I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right pulley.

The tensioner pulley is between the crankshaft pulley and the generator pulley. Its spring-loaded mounting bracket is positioned above the pulley. The center of rotation of the arm that connects the bracket to the pulley has some sort of a fitting into which you would insert a lever and rotate it clockwise. The '06 manual says it is a square 3/8" hole so a 'breaker bar' with a 3/8 tip would be the tool to do that. You will get a better view by removing the right front wheel and the splash panel so that you can see this from the front of the engine.
As I mentioned, I don't have an '10 manual but I would believe it is the same. I can send you a drawing from the manual as an attachment to an email. But I need to know your email address. When you tell me that, don't use the @ symbol, rather use 'at', or the address will be automatically erased.
Please let me know if it is different.
And thank you for a rating/nomination.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).