Chrysler Repair/rad fans inoperative with A/C

Hi Roland.I have a 2004 sebring convertible v6,2.7 liter.The problem is that when a/c is turned on, the cooling fans do not come on.The compressor clutch engages ok.I have verified the cooling fan operation when the engine gets hot,all the fuses seem ok and I have tried switching relays,there are no codes from BCM. I'm unsure where to start checking next,as it seems to me that the BCM provides ground on this circuit.Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Harvey,
On that vehicle the AC clutch activation alone does not activate the fans. In addition the minimum amount of refrigerant pressure has to be available (there is a compressor cut-off switch if not) and similarly the head pressure of the compressor much reach a set minimum value nor exceed a set maximum value. So it is possible that you have an issue with the amount of refrigerant in the system or a problem with the compressor itself. The fan control is done by the PCN and the fact that the fans will operate properly without the AC being activated suggests that there is no issue with the fan circuits proper.
So I would look into the refrigerant level and the pressure of the output head of the compressor next.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).