Chrysler Repair/replacing BCM with Used BCM computer

Question
I have a 1998 dodge caravan with a 3.3 v-6 with codes p1494 and p1495....I know that the BCM has had a problem because of dash lights flashing and door locks, and dome lights going off and on by themselves occasionally. I have a spare vehicle with the same motor in it; can I switch BCM's without having it flashed?

Answer
Hi Jim,
The 1494 and 1495 codes are about the leak detection pump and its solenoid which are a powertrain issue, not a body control module issue, so those codes will not go away by changing the BCM. You will need to check out that leak detection pump itself and its hose connections.
The dash lights flashing are an issue that you need to tell me more about. However the dome lights going off and on by themselves and door locks locking by themselves might be solved by finding which door is too loosely latched (when in motion have a helper press outward on all the doors to find which one turns on the dome light or causes the door locks to cycle. Then move the door latch striker, located in the door frame adjacent to the latch mechanism, inboard about a bit so the door is more firmly pressing against the frame when closed. The door ajar switch for that 'loose' door is detecting that issue but treating it erroneously as if the door were not truly latched.
So I am not sure what you will accomplish by exchanging out the BCM. Do both vehicles have a theft security system or both not have that system? Ideally both with be identical one way or the other. If they both have the system then a minor procedure will need to be done if you exchange the BCM's; flashing won't b necessary. If neither has the anti-theft system then there is no problem with exchanging the BCM's.
So I wonder why you would want to get into the idea of changing out the BCS's when it is likely the problems you describe are due to a BCM fault.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston