Chrysler Repair/'00 LHS jammed shifter/ignition key lock

My shifter is jammed and I can't get my key out or move the shifter at all. I'm not sure if you are required to have your foot on the break to start because I always do that automatically and I don't have the original owners manual.

Hi Davie,
That shifter/key lock mechanism is complex but fortunately it is well described in the service manual. The best thing I can offer is to copy 12 pages from the manual and attach them to an email that I would send to you directly. Then you can go through the various sections and no doubt figure out how to adjust the cable that connects from the shifter to the key lock or whatever else needs to be done.
If you want those pages send me a 'private' follow-up question where you tell me your email address but don't use the @ symbol, instead us 'at', otherwise the address will be erased.
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).