Chrysler Repair/2001 PT cruiser speedometer

Hi  I'm trying to help a neighbor with her Cruiser. The engine light came on and the speedo started acting spastic bouncing or at times not working at all.  I checked the code and it came back as being a speed sensor. Sounded right to me so we replaced the output sensor. Still doing the same thing but the light has stayed off. Then she tells me that it had been kinda surging or revving before the speedo quit.  I set my scanner to view live data and saw right away that at idle the TP was way over 10% at 15%.  I dont have the book but that seems high. I also took the #4 spark plug out and its really bad. Im sure the rest are bad, too. The gap calls for .50 and the electrode is burned down so much that the gap is .75
   The bad plugs are the cause of some of the surging but Im unsure about the rest. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Dawg  from Tucson

Hi Dawg,
Yes change the plugs. Also remove the air intake and clean the throttle body throat, both sides of the throttle plate, and the idle air passage way on the side of the throat.
On the speed sensor, check the connection of the light green/white wire on pin 2 to pin 14 of the tcm and check the dark blue/black on pin 1 to pin 13 of the tcm.
Good work using the cacnner!
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).