Chrysler Repair/'94 Concorde 3.5L: dies then starts after cool down

Question
The engine is a 3.5L and the flashes read 3-2-1-3-3-1-1-5-5.  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Mary,
The codes are 2-digit numbers so we need to split up one of those 9 numbers into 2 numbers so that we have 10 numbers. My hunch is that the initial '3' is actually 1 and 2 so if you would be so kind as to look again to see if there is a pause after the first flash and then 2 flashes that would be helpful. Let us assume that is the case, for if so here is what the numbers would mean:
12 means the battery was disconnected sometime in the past 50-100 starts of the engine (you may not have had the car that long so it could have happened prior to your buying it.
21 means that one of the heated oxygen sensors isn't working, These are pollution control devices mounted midline on the exhaust manifold on both sides of the engine. A failure would not cause the engine to stall out, rather just not be as low as it could be in pollution minimization. You would want to look at both to see if one of the four fragile wires that connect the tip of the sensor to its plug is broken and if so replace that sensor. If you have to have a 'smog check' to get the license renewed you will want to correct this situation.
33 means there is an electrical problem in activating the air condition compressor so if the AC is not working that would be something to check out. It too would not cause the engine to die.
11 means there is a problem with the crankshaft position sensor and that is likely the cause of the engine problem. It is located at the seam between the engine and the transmission just above the ribbed panel of the transmission differential, midline on the passenger side of the power unit. It has a single retaining bolt and is easy to replace. Cost of the sensor around $50 and that will probably solve your main problem. It has 3 wires: light blue/dark blue, black/light blue, and orange. Let me know if you can't find it. Just unbolt it, disconnect the bolt, replace the sensor inserting it firmly in the hole and tighten the bolt.
55 means 'end of code readout'.
So do check the flashes one more time and let me know if my assumption is wrong.
If you would be so kind as to 'rate' my answer and 'nominate' me for volunteer of the month I would be most appreciative. Also, you can return to the original answer and do the same rate/nominate again (there is just a limit of 5 nominations per month!).
Thanks,
Roland

Here is the original Q and A:

'94 Concorde randomly shuts down?

Question:
I recently bought a 1994 Chrysler Concorde with a V6 engine at an estate sale. Its in really good condition with only 90,000 original miles on it. The problem is, if I drive it more than a few miles, the check engine light comes on and when I park it, it will not turn back on for awhile, usually at least an hour depending on how far I drove it. I can turn the key and it will try to turn over, but not catch. If I drive it too far, it has shut down in the middle of the street/highway when I pull to a stop sign or traffic light. This has only happened a few times, but each time, I had to push it off to the side of the road and wait hours for it to start again. The car did have old fuel on it when purchased, but we dropped the tank and cleaned it out. The tank runs out at 1/4 left, but the fuel pump was replaced about five years ago, if that matters. What could be the reason for my troubles? Thank you!

Answer:
Hi Mary,
Try using the ignition switch to obtain a fault code number(s) stored in the engine controller: turn the key "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time.
Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then send a follow-up question telling me the flash counts in the order of appearance.
There are a couple of heat sensitive sensors which behave as you describe. This fault code readout will tell us what is wrong. Let me know whether the engine is labeled 3.3L or 3.5L.
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just found your question in the 'pool' to which it had been referred by Kevin.
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston