Chrysler Repair/'94 Concorde randomly shuts down?

Question
I recently bought a 1994 Chrysler Concorde with a V6 engine at an estate sale. Its in really good condition with only 90,000 original miles on it. The problem is, if I drive it more than a few miles, the check engine light comes on and when I park it, it will not turn back on for awhile, usually at least an hour depending on how far I drove it. I can turn the key and it will try to turn over, but not catch. If I drive it too far, it has shut down in the middle of the street/highway when I pull to a stop sign or traffic light. This has only happened a few times, but each time, I had to push it off to the side of the road and wait hours for it to start again. The car did have old fuel on it when purchased, but we dropped the tank and cleaned it out. The tank runs out at 1/4 left, but the fuel pump was replaced about five years ago, if that matters. What could be the reason for my troubles? Thank you!

Answer
Hi Mary,
Try using the ignition switch to obtain a fault code number(s) stored in the engine controller: turn the key "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time.
Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then send a follow-up question telling me the flash counts in the order of appearance.
There are a couple of heat sensitive sensors which behave as you describe. This fault code readout will tell us what is wrong. Let me know whether the engine is labeled 3.3L or 3.5L.
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just found your question in the 'pool' to which it had been referred by Kevin.
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston