Chrysler Repair/Neon '96: stutters, bucks rough ride; code 11

QUESTION: hi, its hardly 2 weeks safter installing the camshaft sensor and the car starts again jerking, bucks. and almost like will die as you accelerate it responds slowly or not at all followed with jerking (pulling forward and back) the manual code i got was 12-21-11-55 . i took it in to bosch after installing the camshaft for them to check if there were other perfomance issues and it cam out clean as a slat (no codes) but when you do the key trick it produces above codes .  Are there any possible scenarios that can trigger the code 11 together with an oxygen sensor code 21.

ANSWER: Hi Tony,
The 11 code appears to be new in that you previously dealt with the 54 cam sensor code. The crankshaft position sensor is mounted just above the oil filter so my suggestion would be to replace that sensor now. The oxygen sensor code is not related to the crank sensor and that mainly impacts the level of pollutants and usually wouldn't cause the rough idle, so look at that issue after you clear the 11 code. Check the wire harness for the crank sensor as well to be sure there is no sign of damage to its wires.
On the oxygen sensor, look closely at the one mounted on the exhaust manifold to see if one of its fragile wires is broken or shorted to ground and similarly check its harness.
Please read the PS below.

QUESTION: i  did check the wiring  and taped were it was exposed. took it for a drive it felt better parked it at home, then my father took it out for a drive barely 100m it died. did the key thing it code 11 came up again. managed to start it and took it home and drove roughly a 1km around the neighbourhood, the car was ok code 11 did not reappear.   later they took t for a drive and it died , start again move and die again.Roland is it possible for a crankshaft sensor to go bad in a space of 8months and what are the possible causes for it going bad. remeber i just fixed the camshaft sensor and now the crankshaft is acting up. if i replace it should i expect to be changing the parts after every 8 months

Hi Tony,
Anything is possible with an electronic component. I would verify that your wires are good between the plug and the engine controller. The gray/black wire goes to pin 25, the black/light blue to pin 51, and the orange to pin 44. Shake the harness gently while checking for the continuity of each of those wires. If the wires are solid, then you have to 'go' with the 11 code and replace the sensor.
I would appreciate your rating of this answer and even more so your giving a 'yes' answer where you see the question about a nomination of me for 'volunteer of the month'.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).