Chrysler Repair/Overheating new car due to loose radiator cap

Question
I have a Chrysler 200. It has 1700 miles on it. It overheated. The only thing the repair shop could find was l loose radiator cap. They said it held pressure after tightening it. Why would a new car have a loose cap?  Why did it take 1700 miles to blow?  Should I talk to the dealer who sold me the car?  Thanks

Answer
Hi Debbie,
If it were slightly loose when it left the factory it might take 1700 miles before it wouldn't hold pressure any longer. Or has anyone looked under the hood since you bought the car, and might he have failed to put the cap back on tightly? If nothing untoward has happened as the result of the overheating (keep your eye on the gauge for the next hundred miles or so) then I would not spend much effort trying to get to the bottom of this. It may not be possible to know for sure why the cap was loose, so if nothing else occurs I would just forget it. If it continues to overheat then the dealer would be the place to go as this would be a warranty repair at no cost.
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston