Chrysler Repair/Overheating new car due to loose radiator cap

I have a Chrysler 200. It has 1700 miles on it. It overheated. The only thing the repair shop could find was l loose radiator cap. They said it held pressure after tightening it. Why would a new car have a loose cap?  Why did it take 1700 miles to blow?  Should I talk to the dealer who sold me the car?  Thanks

Hi Debbie,
If it were slightly loose when it left the factory it might take 1700 miles before it wouldn't hold pressure any longer. Or has anyone looked under the hood since you bought the car, and might he have failed to put the cap back on tightly? If nothing untoward has happened as the result of the overheating (keep your eye on the gauge for the next hundred miles or so) then I would not spend much effort trying to get to the bottom of this. It may not be possible to know for sure why the cap was loose, so if nothing else occurs I would just forget it. If it continues to overheat then the dealer would be the place to go as this would be a warranty repair at no cost.
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).