Chrysler Repair/pt cruiser 2001

Question
fans not coming on fuses all look good. i opened relay boxes with car at about halfway on temp gauge, relay plugged in or not car on or not no visible change in relays. i unplugged fan motor and stuck some jumper wires in the socket, ground to black in the middle, one side worked blue wire but i did not let it get up to speed, it was hard to hold socket and loose wires all at once. other side of socket also blue wire got no power no nothing so only one speed of motor is working??? i tried test several times to make sure same results every time. should i change the fan? and what about them relays, i don't really know much about how to test them are they operating correctly? i figured with them pulled out they should have moved when put into the half hot car when the car was turned on thanks for any help

Answer
Hi CJ,
At the fan motor plug pin 2 is ground. When you jump 12v to pin 1 (dark green) the fan should run at low speed, and when you jump 12v to pin 3 (yellow wire) it should run on high speed, as I read the wiring diagrams. The two separate relays are programmed to send 12v to either wire as a function of the coolant temp sensor readings via the powertrain control module. So you may have to let the temp move above 1/2 toward 3/4 scale before you would read 12v, first on the dark green wire, and then at even higher temp on the yellow wire of the plug. Try those tests and let me know what you find.
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston