Chrysler Repair/pt cruiser 2001

fans not coming on fuses all look good. i opened relay boxes with car at about halfway on temp gauge, relay plugged in or not car on or not no visible change in relays. i unplugged fan motor and stuck some jumper wires in the socket, ground to black in the middle, one side worked blue wire but i did not let it get up to speed, it was hard to hold socket and loose wires all at once. other side of socket also blue wire got no power no nothing so only one speed of motor is working??? i tried test several times to make sure same results every time. should i change the fan? and what about them relays, i don't really know much about how to test them are they operating correctly? i figured with them pulled out they should have moved when put into the half hot car when the car was turned on thanks for any help

Hi CJ,
At the fan motor plug pin 2 is ground. When you jump 12v to pin 1 (dark green) the fan should run at low speed, and when you jump 12v to pin 3 (yellow wire) it should run on high speed, as I read the wiring diagrams. The two separate relays are programmed to send 12v to either wire as a function of the coolant temp sensor readings via the powertrain control module. So you may have to let the temp move above 1/2 toward 3/4 scale before you would read 12v, first on the dark green wire, and then at even higher temp on the yellow wire of the plug. Try those tests and let me know what you find.
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).