Chrysler Repair/security system

Question
Hello,

i have a 97 chrysler town and country and sometime when i go to start up my van it starts and then dies out it will do 2 or 3 times then it will not start at all i have wait for awhile then it starts up....

I have had mechanics look at it and nothing is wrong with the car itself 1 mechanic states its the security system.

also sometime when im driving the car all the lights and bells start blinking saying door ajar but all doors are closed.

can u tell me what is the cause of this and how to fix it?

thanks lisa

Answer
Hi Lisa,
There is definitely either front door is not firmly closed and that is setting off the lights and bells. This is an easy fix: when you are in motion push outward on the driver door and see if that causes the problem, and if not try doing that to the passenger door. Whichever door causes the problems all you need to do is notice in the door frame there is door latch striker and that has a couple of screws which when loosened will allow you to move that striker inboard a small amount so that the door is then more tightly secured to the frame when you close it. Tighten the screws on the striker to secure that position.
The start and then die is a symptom of a security system that is not disarming when you unlock the van. You can try using the door key to lock then unlock the van, and they try to start it. If that doesn't work, then do the same lock/unlock on the passenger side using the door key.
There is a security system status light on the dash that should be 'off' if you successfully disarmed the security system.
If neither door key lock action works to disarm it, then once you do get it to disarm the easiest way to avoid the problem from occurring again is to simply stop using the security system when you leave the vehicle. Simply secure the doors by using the mechanical lock button on each of the doors. Don't lock the doors by using the remote control, the power lock button, or the door key. Determining exactly why you can't disarm the vehicle is perhaps more of a hassle than simply by-passing the system intirely by never 'arming' it to begin with.
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston