Chrysler Repair/'01 town & country: skim removal?

Question
If I change out the lock cylinder and detach the anti theft SKIM am I able to use a normal key or do I have to still get a code for the keys.

Answer
Hi Jason,
I don't believe that you can simply remove the skim ring and the skim module to defeat the need for the skim key. It's presence is programmed into the powertrain control module to look to receive the message from the skim module that a valid key is being used. To remove the skim function you would possibly only have to have the pcm re-programmed with s diagnostic readout box at a dealer, or possibly it may even require a different pcm. I would try to stick with the skim and get a skim key programmed. The lock cylinder itself is unrelated to the skim system so that would not have to be replaced.
What is the history of the situation?
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston