Chrysler Repair/'01 town & country: skim removal?

If I change out the lock cylinder and detach the anti theft SKIM am I able to use a normal key or do I have to still get a code for the keys.

Hi Jason,
I don't believe that you can simply remove the skim ring and the skim module to defeat the need for the skim key. It's presence is programmed into the powertrain control module to look to receive the message from the skim module that a valid key is being used. To remove the skim function you would possibly only have to have the pcm re-programmed with s diagnostic readout box at a dealer, or possibly it may even require a different pcm. I would try to stick with the skim and get a skim key programmed. The lock cylinder itself is unrelated to the skim system so that would not have to be replaced.
What is the history of the situation?
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).