Chrysler Repair/04 pt cruiser; no power to diagnostic port

check engine light came on, car cutoff.battery had bad cell was won't start or turn over.checked all fuses with volt meter all ok.i get a obd2 reader to check for codes,no power coming out of connector to power reader.possible ignition switch or neutral safety switch? Thanks

Hi Woody,
The power for the reader should be on pin 16 of the reader plug-in socket. It comes from fuse #13 (20 amp) and that is connected directly to the battery. So neither the ignition switch nor the p/n safety switch would be involved. Let me know if you still have no power after checking the fuse. There is a splice of two where the connection may have dropped out.
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).