Chrysler Repair/'04 Sebring: fuse 8 blowing (fuel pump)

I removed both fuel pump (28) and AETX (26)relays. fuse did not blow.
Installed Fuel relay fuse blew. I then swapped the fuel pump relay with the EATX relay and the fuse blew indicating problem is on the other side of the relay. Where do I go from here?

Hi Mike,
Fuse 8 only powers the fuel pump so either the wire from the relay to the pump is shorting to ground or the fuel pump is shorted to ground.
You can check the resistance to ground from the central pin of the fuel pump relay socket which I suspect will show a dead short. The wire leaving the relay on that pin 15 is dark green/white and that then goes to a 16-pin natural color connector on the driver side kick panel about half-way up from the floor. At pin 13 of that connector you will find the dark green/white wire entering from the relay socket. You could open that connector and see if the  wire also shows a short to ground and if it does then very likely the fuel pump has gone bad.
There is one further disconnect inside the cabin near the rear wheel opening where you will find a black 6-pin disconnect where on pin 1 is that same wire which finally goes to the pump module on a red wire. You may have to remove the rear seat for access to that disconnect.
You could go to the fuel pump plug and check the resistance to ground of the fuel pump. Once you satisfy yourself that the pump shows a short to ground then you can replace the pump. Let me know if you need the instructions for that as the tank has to be dropped to do that. I can send you the pages from the manual as an attachment to an email. I need to know your email address to do that but don't use the @ symbol, instead use 'at', otherwise the address will be erased.
Please read and respond to the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).