Chrysler Repair/'86lebaron 2.2 turbo: no starter

Question
QUESTION: hi, my name is Constantin,
I own a '86 lebaron 2.2 turbo, 4 door sedan.
for the second time in last 2 months does not want to start. no click no turning, nothing. last time when it happen, the second day started like was nothing wrong, and since then always started perfectly til today.
I tried the ignition switch on-off, and has the code "23-charge temperature sensor input below/above minimum/maximum acceptable voltage"(Chilton repair manual). check engine lamp is most of the time on.the starter was replaced 2 years ago and was checked by a mechanic, and it does not click or turn.
when i turn on the ignition key, I hear only a click in a relay. also I remember when I turn off the engine the engine was hot.
what shall I do to fix the problem?
please give me a solution, I depend very much on this car.

thank you

ANSWER: Hi Constantin,
You didn't say whether the click that you heard was loud (from the starter motor) or soft (from the starter relay). If it was loud then either the battery is weak, the starter motor is weak, or the fat red wire from the battery to the starter motor is loose at the starter or at the battery clamp. Don't touch that fat wire without first disconnection the - post clamp from the battery.
If the click was soft then, with a helper to try the key,  verify whether the starter relay itself is clicking (touch it). It is located on the front of the left side strut tower in the engine compartment. If it is then either the brown wire on that relay is not connected tightly at the starter motor relay (which if it were there would be a loud click coming from the starter motor itself) or the starter solenoid switch on the starter is not working. If the starter relay doesn't click then try moving the gear shift lever slightly off-center in both the P or the N position as that safety interlock may not be adjusted properly. Let me know about the result of your testing and we'll go from there.
Please read and respond to the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: the click is at the start relay only. I tried to shift gear in all positions few times, I tried also to start in "n" position, no success.
do you think that I should replace the charge temperature sensor?
thank you.

Answer
No, the charge temp sensor has nothing to do with the starter/starter motor situation.
Because the starter relay does click, then verify that you have 12v on the red wire of the starter relay, and verify that you show 12v on the brown wire of the starter relay when it clicks. The relay is supposed to connect the red wire to the brown wire when it clicks. If it does show 12v on the brown wire then either that wire is not connected at the starter motor solenoid switch or the solenoid switch itself is bad. It should click loudly when the relay clicks. If you don't get 12v on the brown wire, then try switching out the starter relay with another nearby relay which has the same part number to see if the relay might have bad contact points inside of it.
Please rate my answer and consider a 'yes' for the question about volunteer of the month.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston