Chrysler Repair/96 chrysler concorde p0600 code

when you crank my 96 concorde the gauges work for a second then quit working. i replaced the ignition switch, both parts. it still does the same thing. if you turn the switch back just a little bit then the gauges will work but the power windows and blinker will not. it is pulling up code p0600 which the parts store or the emission testing guy can not tell me what that means. car runs great, not problem with running or driving other than the gauges not working. could you tell me what it could be or how i could find what it could be without having to spend $1,000?

Hi James,
The gauges (I assume this is a conventional mechanical instrument cluster) require that there be power coming out of fuse 9 and fuse 17 in the fuse box at the left end of the dash, so check to be sure you have that 12V in the 'run' position of the key.
The data to produce gauge readings is digital and that comes from the powertrain control module (and from the body computer for non-engine functions).
The 0600 code points to a non-function of digital communication between the co-processors inside the PCM and that is only 'cured' by replacing the PCM itself. So check the fuses and then I would look for a used PCM at a wrecking yard. Be sure to get one from a 1996 vehicle with same size engine as yours and also one that does/does not have the vehicle theft system just like yours. It could be from any of the LH body cars (LHS, Concorde, Intrepid). I don't see a specific tie-in to the "blinkers" (emergency flashers or turn signals or both?) or power windows so that may just be an ignition switch positioning variable.
Please read the PS below.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).