Chrysler Repair/Sebring 2001 convert.: rough idle

Hi Roland,
I read a post from back in 2011 with a car that was idling funny and you had asked him to get the code for you. I did the key on key off thing and it came up with p1684 . My car has been running odd and autozone said it was a possible vaccum leak I'm not sure what to do. Can you tell me.more about this code?

Hi Shannon,
The 1684 simply means that sometime in the past 50 on-off cycles the battery was disconnected. It would not say anything about an engine idle/run problem. If no one has disconnected the battery recently, then you could check the battery cable clamps and wires. Absent another code about the only two possibilities are a vacuum leak due to a loose fitting or cracked vacuum hose, or it could also be a vacuum leak due to an exhaust gas recirculation valve which is sticking slightly ajar which also constitutes a vacuum leak and causes a rough idle. So you could look into those possibilities. Keep checking for any new codes is the other thing to do.
Please read the PS below and respond.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).