Chrysler Repair/'89 Lebaron ignition lock cylinder

This is my problem: I went to start my 1989 Lebaron GTC convertible, 2.5 L Turbo. and when I turned the key, it would not move to the START position. I could turn it to Accessory, and to ON, but not to START. I've figured it out (I think) that the ignition lock cylinder has broken.  

My question is twofold- Does this to you sound like the problem, and, if so, is this something an experienced DIYer like me can replace? I have a replacement cylinder on hand, and I have the shop manual for the car. The manual has an exploded view of the tilt wheel column, which this car has.
Looking at the diagram, I have to wonder why the column cover wasn't made easier to remove like in newer cars...

Any advice, precautions, suggestions?

Hi Galen
The other possibility is the ignition switch itself which is attached to the lock cylinder by a connecting rod. See page 8D-19 for that detail. I would agree that you would want to try replacing the lock cylinder as shown in the manual and while you have it out verify that the ignition switch itself hasn't bound up and is thus the cause.
Please see the PS below and respond.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).