Chrysler Repair/'92 LeBaron Convertible: limp-in mode

QUESTION: I just recently took car through a car wash upon leaving car wash I noticed transmission was locked in low gear. I've had this transmission replaced in the past, and I was told that all sensors and solenoids were replaced. Also my Trip odometer is frozen.

ANSWER: Hi Carlos.
I would wait for a few days to see if 'drying' of the wiring might get the transmission out of limp-in mode (actually it is only using second gear). If that doesn't improve it, then a fault code readout of the transmission controller memory is the next step. That is done via plug at the lower left end of the dash using an OBD-I code reader.
The trip odometer is probably a gear problem inside the cluster if the mileage reading is still changing as you drive. It is probably more of an effort to get that going again than is worth it. Try fiddling with the reset button in case it might be stuck 'in' is about all I can suggest for that.
Please read the PS below and respond.

QUESTION: what are the chances of me having to replace trans? Or is this more of an electrical component issue

Hi Carlos,
Until you have the code readout we won't know for sure, so let me know what that shows. Get the 2-digit code number and we'll go from there. But because of the history of the car wash wait a bit to see if it recovers from that. By the way, did you check the level of trans fluid on the dip stick to see that you don't have leak? Use only ATF+4 if needed.
If you would do a rating/nomination in the meantime that would be appreciated.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).