Chrysler Repair/Steering 'pop' sound, now hard steering

I have a town and country Chrysler van and when I was driving it I made a hard right turn in a parking garage and heard a loud pop and then my steering became very hard to turn it is hard to turn when sitting still but easier to turn when driving it. The power steering fluid is full still it is harder to turn on way than the other. Check the belt it is fine there is no fluid leaking and suggestions?

Hi Monica,
I wonder whether some part of the connections between the steering gear and the steering knuckles (one such connection goes to each side). The only way to tell would be to put the vehicle up on jack stands or a ramp and look to see if anything looks unusual when comparing the left to the right side, viewing along tie rods and their joints. I suppose it could be damage internal to the power steering gear proper or the pump, but take a look at the tie rods to begin with. Let me know what you find. Also, what is the model year of the vehicle?
There are ways to test the gear and the pump with pressure gauges to ascertain if either is faulty. But I doubt it would be the pump, more likely the gear or tie rods because of the difference in effort going one way compared to the other.
Pleae read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).